Supporting ELCA-affiliated residential ministries within the Northeastern Iowa Synod.
Each year, ELCA-affiliated agencies that do ministry within the boundaries of the Northeastern Iowa Synod to serve the youngest or oldest of our communities are encouraged to request a grant from the Northeastern Iowa Synod to fund a specific program.
The Northeastern Iowa Synod Endowment Fund was created by a synod council resolution on Sept. 7, 1996, and was funded with a gift of $1,394,994 in 1998. This gift came from the estate of Mary Evens Joehnk to be used “for old people’s homes and children’s homes supported by that synod.”
The endowed funds are invested with the ELCA Foundation Pooled Fund A. Interest earned from the endowment is used to fund the grants.
2021 Grand Recipients
- Mosaic, Clarion — provide staff training and development
- Aase Haugen Senior Services, Decorah — provide education for area students seeking to become certified nursing assistants (CNA)
- Luther Manor, Dubuque — support the Chaplaincy Program
- Good Neighbor Society, Manchester — provide for worship and trips and outings for the residents
- Good Shepherd, Inc., Mason City — support the Chaplaincy Program
- Lutheran Retirement Home, Northwood — purchase three smart TVs to provide worship streaming for the residents
- Good Samaritan Society, Waukon — provide staff training in the Montessori “One to One Program” to enhance residents.
- Bartels Lutheran Retirement Community, Waverly — contribute toward the funding of a van with a lift for wheelchairs.
- Lutheran Services in Iowa, Waverly — provide devotional materials, worship supplies and travel for the chaplaincy program
Your Gift Makes A Difference
Your gift to the Northeastern Iowa Synod Endowment Fund supports ministries in communities throughout the Northeastern Iowa Synod territory.
GIVE BY CHECK: Make checks payable to the Northeastern Iowa Synod with the memo indicating the Northeastern Iowa Synod Endowment Fund. Mail checks to: Northeastern Iowa Synod, 201 20th St. SW, PO Box 804, Waverly, IA 50677-0804.
APPLY FOR 2022 GRANTS
Grant requests for 2022 must be received by Dec. 31, 2021.
To apply, complete the Grant Application form.
To learn more about this fund, contact the synod office at 319-352-1414 or send an email.